Magicians and Ammet discussion or r.a.b.c

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 17 08:01:40 EST 2000

At 9:39 AM +1000 17/3/0, PREISIG Kylie wrote:

>Alternatively, all I can suggest is talking to your ISP about getting
>r.a.b.c added to your news server.
>
>Unless any techos out there on the list have better suggestions?
>
>Kylie

I would expect that almost all public ISPs would have rabc already - as it's in the rec hierarchy its part of the central group of seven. (comp, misc, rec, soc, sci...hmmm can't recall the rest).

If you get your internet connection via work there is the possibility that they don't import non-work hierarchies into their news servers.

If people don't know how to access news groups then they could look at Netscape Communicator which includes a news reader. Presumably the same is true of IE. (I don't use either for news, I use NewsHopper on a Mac.).

If you have a newsreader (netscape, ie, independent) then you need to search the newsgroups list for rec.arts.book.childrens. When you find it, your newsreader should give you an option to subscribe to it. That means that you will automatically see entries in that newsgroup whenever you open up your newsreader.

Anita