We just can't get away from food... (was: Re: Mordion/Tess)

Thu Mar 16 17:14:03 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:04:26 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>It's not the cheese or the bread or the soup part that shook me.  It's the
>sandwich dipping.  "Soupy bread" has been a favourite for years, and tomato
>is good with almost everything savoury (apologies, tomato loathers), and we
>often put chunks of cheese in soup to melt it .  But, what's so gorgeous
>about grilled/toasted cheese sambos is the contrast between the oozy cheese
>and the crispy bread (apologies, again).  So dunking _that_ is hard to deal
>with.

I see.  Well, since we've already gone far off track here....This is why the
bread has to be stale and well toasted or fried in butter.  This keeps it
crispy even though you've dipped it in the soup.  Just a quick dunk, of
course, or it gets soggy--and the hot soup also helps keep the cheese
melted, because cooled cheese in sandwiches is just nasty.  I don't
understand how Jacob can eat them cold.  You have to try it to really see
how it works (not that I'm saying you personally *should* try it, just that
it's sort of counter-intuitive).

Any new subscribers to this list must be checking the archives, scratching
their heads and saying "I really did think this was a list about Diana Wynne
Jones...and here's all this culinary advice...."  :)

>I tried to find a reference to dunking biscuits in tea in F & H (biscuits=
>cookies, in US), as I've done that all my life, so I'd have been firmly
>back on the side of Right, but no luck.

I was just reading about how those words got changed between British and
American English, except I can't remember how it happened.  And I was just
reading this YESTERDAY.  Maybe I should look it up again.

Melissa Proffitt