We just can't get away from food... (was: Re: Mordion/Tess)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 15 05:04:26 EST 2000

>The tomato flavor of the soup is a nice complement to the fatty goodness of
>cheese.  Again, stale bread (or very thick bread) is best, as it doesn't
>dissolve and leave nasty starchy chunks in the soup, which you may want to
>drink afterward.  That the soup is the condensed kind is just my nod to
>making this meal a quick and easy one.  I prefer fresh tomato soup,
>well-blended with perhaps a few little bits of vegetable floating in it; but
>until I am wealthy enough to hire a chef, I put up with the condensed stuff.

It's not the cheese or the bread or the soup part that shook me.  It's the
sandwich dipping.  "Soupy bread" has been a favourite for years, and tomato
is good with almost everything savoury (apologies, tomato loathers), and we
often put chunks of cheese in soup to melt it .  But, what's so gorgeous
about grilled/toasted cheese sambos is the contrast between the oozy cheese
and the crispy bread (apologies, again).  So dunking _that_ is hard to deal
with.

I tried to find a reference to dunking biscuits in tea in F & H (biscuits=
cookies, in US), as I've done that all my life, so I'd have been firmly
back on the side of Right, but no luck.

Have I back-pedalled enough to belong again?  Have I?  Please?  After all,
I didn't even say one "ick"!

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie