We just can't get away from food... (was: Re: Mordion/Tess)

Tue Mar 14 17:30:53 EST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:35:56 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>>And I forgot to mention earlier--we eat our cheese sandwiches with condensed
>>tomato soup, for dipping.  Just so we're all clear on that.  :)

>Just as I was thinking what a Wonder this list was.  We had traversed
>minefields of potential controversy and conflict, and emerged unscathed
>with tolerance and mutual respect.  Philip and Kylie have their
>Marmite/Vegimite <breathing deeply>, while I have tapioca (though I
>actually prefer rice pudding).  Now, which of these is the more...  No.
>Mutual respect!  Tolerance!
>
>Then Melissa chooses to drop the bombshell about the dipping of the grilled
>cheese sandwiches into tomato soup.  Condensed.  Many foods can be dipped
>into many liquids, but this?  I simply don't know...

I have a small son who understands the concept of dipping, but not that one
should be discriminating about what one dips into what liquid.  Today after
lunch we were eating cookies, and he was merrily dipping his sandwich cookie
(two flat cookies with frosting between, like an Oreo but the generic
version thereof, and I actually prefer them) into his cup.  I was fine with
this until I remembered that, unlike the rest of us, who were drinking milk,
his cup was full of orange juice.  Urgh.

The tomato flavor of the soup is a nice complement to the fatty goodness of
cheese.  Again, stale bread (or very thick bread) is best, as it doesn't
dissolve and leave nasty starchy chunks in the soup, which you may want to
drink afterward.  That the soup is the condensed kind is just my nod to
making this meal a quick and easy one.  I prefer fresh tomato soup,
well-blended with perhaps a few little bits of vegetable floating in it; but
until I am wealthy enough to hire a chef, I put up with the condensed stuff.

Poor Hallie.  Shaken to the core, eh?

Melissa Proffitt