Mordion/Tess - Christian Imagery in Hexwood (long)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Mar 14 15:38:46 EST 2000

Melissa:

>(After re-reading the
>book, I'm leaning more toward the idea of Tess as Everyman, torn between
>Satan (as represented by Alec d'Urberville) and Angel (the angel, and did
>Hardy HAVE to be so obvious? :)

Philip:

>I think I said this on the list once before, but I see in Mordion an analogue
>of Everyman.

and lots of snipping later:

>I like this.  This enriches Mordion both as Christ and as Everyman.

I think I've achieved about as much understanding on this as I'm going to
for the moment, because I really don't know anything about the Everyman -
concept? Image?  Character?  See how much I don't know?

So, Melissa, have you done a Proffitt Notes version of Everyman yet?  Not,
you understand, so that I could seek to avoid reading the original.  Never
that.  (Sure, Tess is on my list of books to be read very soon.  And if you
believe that, wanna buy a sundial?)

To share a completely useless bit of trivia, The Guardian today published a
report of research which showed that London taxi-drivers, who have The
Knowledge, actually have larger brains - and the longer they'd been at it,
the larger their brains.  So next time someone says that this list expands
the brain - it may be literally true!

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie