dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #143- various

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 15:08:20 EST 2000

Janice, I'd like to try reading Power of Three  on tape for you, though I've
never done this before, and will need to get a small taper.  Hower, assuming
that I actually do it, where would I send the tape?  Snail address is
requested, please.

Betsy-Tacy:  Although I'd read all of the major series as a child, and really
loved Emily of Deep Valley, it was only last week that a co-worker in my
library (Brooklyn) lent me her precious (rescued from a library in Nowhere's
book sale) copy of Carney's House Party.  Great!  Isn't it amazing the
vocabularies they assumed high school students would have back in the Dakr
Ages?

Re Elizabeth Goudge:  I kind of think the concept that we're searching for
here is Sensitivity.  When Henrietta has her teeth cleaned, she suffers
enormously, while her brother (the bluff, hearty type) just keeps asking
questions about how the drill works, and generally has a riotous time.  It's
the "Suffer for ART" bit.  Although I did love her books, especially the one
where the Elliott family buys an inn (Herb of Grace?) and discovers a fresco
on the wall of the storeroom...

By the way, they've reprinted several Georgette Heyers recently...

Devra
Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com