Elizabeth Peters

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue Mar 14 12:17:05 EST 2000

	Welcome to the newly delurked folks - I keep trying to clean out the
inbox and I think I've deleted a couple of new posts (but hello nonetheless
and bienvenue).

	JOdel wrote:

	"For that matter, it isn't the books that become humorless, so much
as Ramses. As he gets older and more self consious he is
> becomming a bit of a prig. Even his father has commented on it..."

	I agree.  It seems like the history of the family supports how he
turns out, what with them being impatient with his verbosity and so on - and
it makes sense that they would be repressive since I've read that was the
common Victorian parenting style - at least the Emersons are more involved
than other real life Victorian parents I've read about (recently read about
Winston Churchill's childhood - eek!).  But I still have to maintain that
things surrounding Nefret seem very humorless and it isn't just Ramses.
It's the whole Paragon thing, I think.

	And at the end of Ape, Amelia reflects on her own family and
childhood so perhaps Peters is working up to a big family clearing of the
air, which would probably happen at some point of extreme crisis.

	Spoiler alert - I am about to speculate on Falcon:

	I think I can guess what is coming in Falcon.  I looked for it at
the library last night but it was out (drat!).  I think Nefret and Sethos
are headed for each other.  I definitely think Ramses and Sethos are going
to have to go mano a mano.  It's almost as if Sethos is a sort of parent of
Ramses because they are actually similar in many ways - the romanticism, the
adventurousness, the legacy of disguise which Ramses adopted of Sethos, the
adherence to a moral code though it allows all sorts of somewhat
questionable (creative?) approaches, that longsuffering unrequited love, the
capitalizing on lies of omission.  And Sethos saying at one point (in Snake,
Crocodile I think) that he would think himself very lucky to have a son like
Ramses - or words to that effect.

	It's possible Amelia is going to have to own up to a number of
things - to support her son, perhaps. I wonder.

	The copy of Ape I read had an advance chapter from Falcon all about
the possibility that David has picked up his forging again, but that's just
a teaser I'm sure - David is too safe and taken care of in terms of plot.
It's the Ramses/Nefret/Sethos, Ramses/parents/Sethos that's coming on to
boil.  I feel certain that no matter what happens I will be partly annoyed -
and I will stay up all night and grab the next one as soon as possible.

I just can't imagine thinking up such exciting plots as Peters or as dwj or
as Riley.  How I wish I could!  And I just can't imagine, either, being able
to work out different perspectives like writers do.  How cool it is.

	"That is left unresolved at the end and you are left hanging. Falcon

> has a nasty case of "middle-book syndrome".

I'm glad I am just reading these now, because it is just so frustrating to
know you shall have to wait a year or more to find out what happens.  The
next one is due out in May.  I can wait a month  :)  I wouldn't put it past
her to...no, no, I don't even want to speculate on who she might kill off.
But she might.

	"(Note: It seems fairly clear to me that Ramses's childhood speech
impediment was something he clung to primarily because his mother didn't
like it. I suspect that if Amelia Peabody Emerson were YOUR mother, it might
be a bit overwhelming and you'd make a point of fighting back too. His
smoking in adolescence serves much the same purpose.)"

	I think you are right on target and I think Peters did that very
nicely.  I was ready for the books to just be funny, inventive page turners
- it is a bonus that she fleshes out her characters that way.

Elise