Elizabeth Peters

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 11:17:35 EST 2000

In a message dated 3/13/00 8:56:05 AM, emcmullin at kl.com writes:

<< I really
am not excited about the turn Ramses has taken lately. >>

No, he was much more fun when he was a kid. (His letters to his parents in
The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog are howlingly funny, and that was about
the last of it. Occasionally amusing, still, but not the hoot and a half he
was then and earlier.) For that matter, it isn't the books that become
humorless, so much as Ramses. As he gets older and more self consious he is
becomming a bit of a prig. Even his father has commented on it...

Your friend who felt betrayed by Falcon has company. Betrayal is what much of
that book is about. And, unlike the earlier books, that one does NOT really
stand alone. An major subplot reaches crisis point, and the whole situation
implodes. That is left unresolved at the end and you are left hanging. Falcon
has a nasty case of "middle-book syndrome".

(Note: It seems fairly clear to me that Ramses's childhood speech impediment
was something he clung to primarily because his mother didn't like it. I
suspect that if Amelia Peabody Emerson were YOUR mother, it might be a bit
overwhelming and you'd make a point of fighting back too. His smoking in
adolescence serves much the same purpose.)