Elizabeth Peters

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Mon Mar 13 10:23:38 EST 2000

	Sally wrote that the later Amelia Peabody mysteries take a turn for
the melodramatic (I deleted the email though, so I can't quote).

Spoilers (sort of) for the series:

	I wasn't sure I saw what you meant, but I just finished The Ape that
Guards the Balance; I definitely see now.  It was much more fun when Amelia
was being inimitable, Emerson irritable and Ramses precociously hysterical.
It's probably unfair to blame the introduction of Nefret since she is quite
the blameless character, but it does seem that as soon as she came on the
scene, things started to become humorless.  Although there is apparently
much precedent for it in Victorian/Edwardian adventure literature, I really
am not excited about the turn Ramses has taken lately.

I am now hesitating about continuing to the next one.  My friend who
introduced me to them was saying that she felt like Peters took quite a
wrong turn in Falcon and she felt somewhat betrayed since she has been
reading them and loving them for so long.  Her comments add to my
apprehension.  However, I am glad I've read them and I can definitely see
re-reading many of the earlier ones in the series.  I love the master
criminal in the early ones, particularly in the Mummy Case when the coptic
priest smooshes Amelia's hat. Ha! That was great.  And the Father of Curses
- a scream!

Melissa, if you haven't read these, I recommend them to you. The heroine is
Always Right.  You must have read them, right?

Elise