Janice and Blindness

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 12 08:41:08 EST 2000

At 10:07 PM +1100 12/3/0, Kevin Jones wrote:
>Janice
>
>My father is blind and the only talking books he's interested in are true
>stories of mountain climbing and sols yachting. I've read them too but not
>exclusively.
>
>My dad's blindness is from retinitis pigmentosa and that's supposed to jump
>a generation, so it's likely one of my sons will have it. I would be
>interested in your opinions on the audio book dearth in children's
>literature. The only DWJ I've heard is Ogre Downstairs, are there others?
>
>I often take a children's audio book with me on long car trips. There are
>some good ones but the publishers can get stuck on particular author and
>publish everything regardless of value and quality.

Kevin and Janice,

I recently read an article about a woman in the UK who is very successfully producing audio books. She started out getting some audio books for someone (her mother perhaps?) who was disappointed that the books were so abridged.

So she started producing unabridged, high quality audio books and the market *really* took off, and she is knee deep in work. She uses good actors (voicers?) and the tapes are longer than was once considered useful - but many people like the whole story, done well.

Unfortunately I read this several weeks ago, and I can't even remember *where* I read it, let alone details of the lady. I have a feeling that her company produced the Harry Potter tapes (probably CDs) which were read  by Stephen Fry.

Hoping this is of some interest,

Anita