Mordion/Tess - with Biblical quotes

Sun Mar 12 22:41:30 EST 2000

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:41:31 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>>Now, I don't think this makes Mordion an analogue for Christ.  It's sort of
>>an extended link:  Mordion--"suffering servant"--Christ, and of course in
>>Jewish biblical scholarship the suffering servant is interpreted very
>>differently and that second link wouldn't exist at all.  But it's opened up
>>an intriguing line of thought for me.  I just wish it had come up about six
>>months ago, when I could have had a venue for an essay on it.... :)
>
>This is about where I've ended up, now that you and Philip have elucidated.
>It's not that I think Mordion is a Christ figure, either, but that link
>between Mordion and the suffering servant really does bring something more
>to my understanding of Mordion.

I was thinking about this today--along the lines of "well, it's interesting
(the suffering servant thing), but why would it matter at all?"  And what
you said is basically the answer.  You can draw all sorts of parallels in
reading books, but the point is to increase your understanding and enjoyment
of said books.  Something I wish I'd figured out back in school and was
writing essays of all sorts...

The single greatest reason I list DWJ as one of my most favorite authors is
just that she writes things that allow this kind of in-depth, layered
reading.  So you can read her books for fun, or you can read them as the
basis for a graduate thesis.  (Hey, Deborah, when do we get to see it?)
This is the sort of thing that matters to me, as a reader.

Melissa Proffitt