Janice and Blindness

Janice Oliveira jeo13 at cornell.edu
Sun Mar 12 10:51:49 EST 2000

Hi Kevin,
	If you live in the U.S., is your dad a member of the National Library
Service?  They have a lot of books for both children and adults and that's
where I get most of my books.  You do need a specialized tape player for
the cassettes but they loan them to members for free.  (As far as I know,
the only requirement for membership, aside from being a US citizen, is that
you're blind and/or have some physical problem that prevents you from
reading or physically handling print books--no use of arms/hands, a true
learning disability, etc.)  There are other organizations that record
and/or braille books, but NLS is the main one for pleasure reading.
(Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic has some, but they're mostly for
school and college textbooks, which is also a great service!)  I'm glad
there's been such an increase in recorded books from private companies--it
helps increase the selection, although, as you mentioned, it's still pretty
limited, especially for someone like me who's been an insatiable reader
ever since I could read braille or understand speech.  <grin>
	I just checked out the website for my local chapter of the Talking Book
Library--part of NLS--and found Cart and Cwidder and Drowned Ammet; they
must have *just* gotten them in!  Where were you able to find The Ogre
Downstairs?  I haven't yet come across that one.  If you'd like to check
out this website to get an idea about the program, it's
http://www.suffolk.lib.ny.us/tbp
You can probably get in touch with them and see if there's a branch where
you live (or your dad can).
	Hope this helps!

Janice and Pavi