U.S. university life (nonstandard) (was: Re: Canadian University Life)

Wed Mar 8 16:15:41 EST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:02:32 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Mine said "Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert."  The translation
>>is left as an exercise for the reader.)
>
>Gracious, it took a frighteningly long time for the penny to drop on this
>one.  "Cara" threw me a little, which was stupid.  (You don't come across
>it too often in Caeser, though.)  It's an interesting word, because Italian
>would have it "dear" (or some much more romantic version thereof,
>probably), but in Spanish it means "face".

It was the similarity to "cara mia" that clued me in, actually.  I never got
to study Latin; they cancelled it the year I was ready to take it.  (My high
school was pitiful when it came to certain areas of study.  They didn't want
to transfer my TWO YEARS of Spanish language credit because they were
"junior high" and therefore must have consisted mainly of "taco grande" and
"chili con queso".)

>  Usually those two languages are
>so close.  In Irish it's "friend", and in Vietnamese "diamond".  I know all
>this because it's my younger daughter's name, not because of any great
>linguistic ability.  If we mix languages, her name (Cara De La Rosa)
>translates as "Friend of the Rose".  It seems worth breaking the rule (as
>there's a rule against mixing metaphors, there *must* be one against mixing
>languages!), as it turns out so nicely.
>
>Do I still get a t-shirt?

I'd send you a t-shirt anyway.  :)  Heck, we should probably have some sort
of DWJ-list t-shirt for easy identification of fellow devotees anywhere
around the globe....

Melissa Proffitt