U.S. university life (nonstandard) (was: Re: Canadian University Life)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 8 12:17:09 EST 2000

>>"Going to college" implies undergraduate status in the US. [aside: In the
>ballad "Lang A-Growing," the new bride's father says, "we'll send him off to
>college for one year yet." Does this imply pre-baccalaureate (like Eton
>College)? If as the song says he was married at 14, then it seems likely.]

Cool aside!  We have a version of that song called "The Bonny Lad" by
Pentangle, and probably the same story is in another one called "Lady Mary
Ann" by Tannahill Weavers (that's a Scottish group, so it's hard to be sure
of a lot of the words).  Might another possibility  be the Colleges in
Oxford or Cambridge?  In Tudor times at least, I'm pretty sure scholars
started there very young.  Fourteen would have been normal, I think.

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie