U.S. university life (nonstandard) (was: Re: Canadian University Life)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 8 05:02:32 EST 2000

 Mine said "Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert."  The translation
>is left as an exercise for the reader.)

Gracious, it took a frighteningly long time for the penny to drop on this
one.  "Cara" threw me a little, which was stupid.  (You don't come across
it too often in Caeser, though.)  It's an interesting word, because Italian
would have it "dear" (or some much more romantic version thereof,
probably), but in Spanish it means "face".  Usually those two languages are
so close.  In Irish it's "friend", and in Vietnamese "diamond".  I know all
this because it's my younger daughter's name, not because of any great
linguistic ability.  If we mix languages, her name (Cara De La Rosa)
translates as "Friend of the Rose".  It seems worth breaking the rule (as
there's a rule against mixing metaphors, there *must* be one against mixing
languages!), as it turns out so nicely.

Do I still get a t-shirt?

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie