Griffins ({Strange| Awkward|The Trouble With}Magic) & Goudge

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 16:03:56 EST 2000

In a message dated 3/7/00 2:16:16 AM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

>The Little White Horse, by Elizabeth
>Goudge.  What do people think about her?

One of my best friends was an enthusiastic fan of Elizabeth Gouge's juviniles
when I first met her (probably still is, but we haven't thought of anything
to say on the subject in some 15 years). I went ahead and read as many of
them as could still be found in the library at the time (some 6 or 7 I
think). Well, they WERE fantasy. But just as I couldn't work up any
appreciation for the "all you need is love" philosophy my contemporaries were
attempting to push into the mainstream of western civ. I couldn't swallow the
sweetness and light of the west country as presented by Gouge.  I found the
books icky, sticky sweet, in fact and while a couple of them had enough story
to be worth re-reading I never could suspend my disbelief quite far enough,
and the villians were allapingly predictable. I gather that the books are
extrordinarily strong representations of what was considered appropriate
thinking and goals for well-socalized little girls in the 1930s, however.
(Dorie's favorite was The Valey of Song.)