Canadian University Life

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 7 12:53:55 EST 2000

Britta wrote:
"Is that only so with liberal arts colleges? I always wondered whether it
was only German students
that are "left", "alternative" or whatever you may call it - not only in
dress, but also in causes:
war in Kosovo, the environment, homosexuals (there's a student group /
department of the student
government body for "lesbians and other women" - I almost feel
discriminated against beacuse I'm only
"other"... ;). The people whose opinions I notice most are sometimes even
too left for me (and I'm left on principle...)"

<Grin>  Remarkably enough, the above succinctly describes the political
atmosphere at the University of Toronto...

(In Canada, unlike I think in
the US but I might be wrong, you go from high school straight to
university--college is an altogether different sort of beast.)

Alexandra