Any Tamora Pierce fans?

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 10:58:33 EST 2000

In a message dated 3/2/00 2:41:35 PM, kp027 at energex.com.au writes:

<< I really liked the first two books, and I thought the final two

were not nearly as good, particularly the final one. >>

I'll admit that that was a difficult transition. The chief problem was the
one of the shifting viewpoint. All of the previous books had been firmly told
from Alanna's pov. But the last sequence of the final book was told in
shifting viewpoints, and tere was no real way around this. The length of the
book was also awkward. The quest for the Dominion Gem was clearly a separate
adventure, told from Alanna's pov, and would have made a perfectly acceptable
separate book. Unfortunately, the story of the coronation plot could only be
told by separate viewpoints and could not readily be expanded to full
book-length without a lot of obvious padding. So it got slammed onto the back
end of the Dominion Gem adventure (which I think was somewhat cut in length
to compensate) and the two parts don't match. What we've got here is a book-an
d-a-half length chimera. I'm not sure how else she could have handled it.