[Re: Any Tamora Pierce fans?]

Thu Mar 2 19:25:27 EST 2000

On 2 Mar 00 11:06:06 PST, Sarah Imholt wrote:

>Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>
>>My experience was that the books went downhill from the first Alanna >book,
>>which is to say that whatever appealed to me about the first book started
>>disappearing gradually from the series.  So I liked the Alanna books, but
>>the first volume of the next series (_Wild Magic_) was just awful.
>
>Really?  I had the opposite experience-really hated the Alanna books, but I
>kinda liked The Immortals Quartet (which starts with Wild Magic).

Well, that's my point.  I don't think there's anything horribly wrong with
them--it becomes an issue of what you're reading for, and what you enjoy in
the book.  She's just doing things that I don't like in books.  However, I
do think that her books have changed gradually (i.e. that there's a
quantifiable difference between the earlier and later ones) and that it's a
good idea to read a few of them to see if you want to continue.

I'm tempted in a sort of masochistic way to look at _First Test_ (is that
the title? whatever the latest Tortall one is) and see if she actually found
a fresh way to approach that story.   The descriptive blurb is along the
lines of "girl tries to become knight and despite Alanna's earlier
experiences is still rejected by her male peers and has to win a place among
them."  I *do* know that this type of story was extremely important to me
when I was a young teen, and that some of my loss of interest comes from no
longer being in that situation.

Melissa Proffitt