Mothers, especially Astrid

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 20:22:51 EDT 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:45:51 -0400
Phillip wrote

Astrid is a character worthy of closer examination, I
> think.  (Whatever did she see in Ronald Price?  Or he in her?  They are a very
> ill-suited couple, I think)

SPOILER WARNING -- 8 DAYS OF LUKE

Ill suited but I suspect they were each getting what they deserved. I
like Astrid but I've always thought she married Ronald for "his"
money while he wanted an ornamental wife. I think he would have
taken care to appear nicer and  certainly more generous while they
were courting and she took the easy option of marriage and
security with a few romantic illusions. Its obvious  thing by the time
of 8 days things had gone very sour but David does remember
Astrid being quite jolly in the early days. On rereading, l wondered
if the Prices were already under strain before the appearence of
Luke, Mr Fry was there asking questions and I think there's a hint
the money was running out -- they seem to have been getting
meaner. Astrid is in some ways a rather typical 70's heroine,
realising she doesn't need a man as a meal ticket and going it
alone. I said above she had been getting what she deserved, her
redemption comes when she chooses to stay with David as the
others leave him to face Mr Wedding, the Frys etc. This puts her in
line for a share of  both the rewards and sorrows that come from
mixing with Gods. As she says to David
"Wouldn't you say it was worth it , to be really happy for a while,
even if you knew you were going to end up sad ever after?"
Making a choice pretty much the opposite of the one she made
when she chose Ronald.

Philip also said
> I'm not sure I let Janine get the prize for worst mother quite that easily,
> though.  Marceny Listanian beats her by quite a way, in my opinion.  And we
> could also include the one we don't meet, also in SWM, who has Amanda and Zillah
> quaking with fear every time the phone rings.  (Any significance to their names
> beginning with A and Z?  Children from the start and end of her fertile life?)

He's quite right of course. I haven't read SWM for a while. My other
excuse is that I was thinking of the mothers in fairly ordinary
domestic settings, and there I think Janine still wins the prize. By
the way I'm reminded that Sally in the Ogre Downstairs is positively
saintly!

Other stuff, error in my last post, re baby announcement, the
Changer's daughter is a coyote not a jackal. Also I'm going to write
some more about state evolution, money and stuff just as soon as I
can unstick the drawer my anthropology notes are in.