[Believing Is Seeing and other books]

Fri Jun 30 20:03:48 EDT 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:31:48 -0600, Erica Sadun wrote:

>>lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu wrote:
>>
>>>In other book notes, I just read my first two Terry Pratchett books.
>>>"Equal Rites" was good, but "Carpe Jugulum" was fantastic.  I'm >definitely
>>adding Pratchett to my Must Read list.
>>
>>I've only read six or seven of his books so far (not CARPE JUGULUM yet) but
>>HOGFATHER was tremendous!  My fave so far.
>
>I cannot recommend the Mort/Reaper Man combo enough.  They're my
>absolute faves of all of his books.  I must admit a fondness, however,
>for the Carrot/Guard books too.

I think the Guardsmen books are my favorites--but I keep changing my mind.
Been re-reading those in between DWJ books, and _Carpe Jugulum_ is so good!
Still, _Reaper Man_ has to be one of the overall best Discworld books.  I
saw an advance notice for _The Truth_ at Amazon.uk--can you believe he's
written 25 Discworld novels?  It's coming out in November.

>Have you tried Claudia Edwards (only 4 books ever written),
>PC Hodgell (3), Barry Hughart (3) or Robert Wilfred Franson (just 1 book, alas)

It's a crime that Barry Hughart never wrote more Li Kao books.  I could
really go for one of those right now--like a good chocolate, or a warm
kitten, very soul-satisfying.

>I'm also quite fond of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

More November releases....

>>Back on topic, I'm enjoying DARK LORD for the third time right now.  Call it
>>early prepping for YEAR OF THE GRIFFIN.
>
>Is this an announced book?

Again, November.  Everything good happens in November.  I have a big list of
books coming out in November.

On the other hand--speaking of waiting for books to come out--Lois McMaster
Bujold's next project is a fantasy of some kind, which she sold (let me see
if I remember) in some kind of bidding war between publishers.  I thought it
sounded interesting.

And for any of you who read Kristen Randle's _The Only Alien on the Planet_,
I have just finished a copy of her latest novel, which she's been trying and
failing to sell (!) called _The Gardener_.  It's so good.  I wish I could
give it to all of you.

Melissa Proffitt
(spending a lot of time reading with the nursing baby)