Mothers (was: Re: Baby Announcement)

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 29 12:20:22 EDT 2000

DWJ's writing stands out among others in part for her willingness to
make parents into normal, fallable people with personal agendas and
willful blindness. Many of her parenting situations include
unhappiness and tragedy with children forced to make the best of a
bad situation. In DWJ's worlds, parents are often selfish
shortsighted people.  This sets up the situation for tension and the
opportunity for adventure. (Was it Anna Karenina that had the famous
"All happy families are alike. Each unhappy family is unhappy in its
own way." line?) IMO, her narrative fails worst when she attempts to
create a happy one-dimensional family situation. (Charmed Life) I
loved Dark Lord of Derkholm where she created a loving, secure family
yet still showed the foibles of the parents. (It also had one of the
most powerful parent-child scenes I've ever read in the apparent loss
of one of the children). In Fire and Hemlock, we even saw a father
leaving his child on the streets rather than show backbone in front
of his girlfriend. It is this sort of stark humanism that gives her
writing so much strength and truth.

-- E