Believing Is Seeing and other books

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Thu Jun 29 10:35:30 EDT 2000

First off, congrats to Melissa, Jacob, and Cordelia, and Jennifer and
Raphael!

My library *finally* got a copy of _Believing is Seeing_ in the other day,
and I savored it this weekend, but I have a quick question.  In her intro,
DWJ says that the last story, "Nad and dan and Quaffy," I think was the
title, is a send-up of a well-known sci fi author.  Not being incredibly
well-read in sci fi (but getting better thanks to your recommendations), I
have a guess as to who this is but I'm not sure. I'll leave spoiler space
just in case.

Is it Ursula LeGuin, or am I way off track here?  I always meant to read
some LeGuin, because a contemporary author from Spain whom I like very
mcuh cites LeGuin as one of her influences, but I have to confess that
I've never read anything by her.

In other book notes, I just read my first two Terry Pratchett books.
"Equal Rites" was good, but "Carpe Jugulum" was fantastic.  I'm definitely
adding Pratchett to my Must Read list. Now I'm tracking down "Sorcery and
cecelia," (but the used bookstores want more for it than a poor grad
student can afford), and 'Picnic at Hanging Rock," which an Australian
friend just recommended to me. When I was in Germany last month I bought a
copy of "Fire and Hemlock" in German, which I justified on the basis that
owning the book would spur me to improve my German.  But since I am
supposed to be reading texts for my comps in Spanish, which are looming
ahead of me, I haven't picked it up yet.  Too many languages at once
confuse me! So many books, so little time...and "The Grand Sophy" is on
its way from the library now. I'll never finish that blasted Reading
List...
Laurie