Mothers (was: Re: Baby Announcement)

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Jun 29 08:44:17 EDT 2000

>> think this is an excellent assessment.  I keep thinking of all the
>> bad mothers in DWJ, and of how even the good mothers like Catriona
>> (from Archer's Goon) are kind of distant.  And now I think I'll
>> re-read _Eight Days of Luke_ because I'm working up a theory on the
>> whole mother thing and I want to look at how David's 'cousin' Astrid
>> fits into this, since she ends up in the mothering role.  Plus I
>> haven't read it for a while.
>
> I just reread Deep Secret, Does Janine win the prize for worst
> mother? That bit where Nick compares her to a boil he once had,
> Oh Dear! I've now started 8 days again and I realise I always
> thought of Astrid as one of the kids. Its only in 8 days that she
> really starts to grow up and take control of her life and David's.

Interesting description, Ven.  I'm sure Luke contributed to starting her off on
the growing-up road.  Astrid is a character worthy of closer examination, I
think.  (Whatever did she see in Ronald Price?  Or he in her?  They are a very
ill-suited couple, I think)

I'm not sure I let Janine get the prize for worst mother quite that easily,
though.  Marceny Listanian beats her by quite a way, in my opinion.  And we
could also include the one we don't meet, also in SWM, who has Amanda and Zillah
quaking with fear every time the phone rings.  (Any significance to their names
beginning with A and Z?  Children from the start and end of her fertile life?)

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000