Baby Announcement

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 20:40:44 EDT 2000

Congratulations to Melissa and Jacob on the birth of Cordelia
Elinor. On Fri 25 jun Melissa wrote

> Why can't there be more authors like DWJ?  I feel right now as though I only
> want to read books like hers, and there just aren't enough of them. <whine
> whine>  I keep prowling my shelves imagining that at some point more books
> will magically appear.  EVERY author whose books I love isn't producing
> anything new until November.  And Steven Brust is probably in a coma
> somewhere laughing at everyone waiting for _The Viscount of Adrilankha_.

I don't think there is anyone else like DWJ but here's some authors
I recomend, apologies if you already know them:

Jane Lindskold. I particularly like her Athanor series (two so far,
Changer and Legends Walking). They're an interesting take on the
immortals among us theme, from the POV of the immortals. Some
of these immortals aren't human, some have been around so long
their age is geological and if they've been one famous/legendary
person they will have been several. The books deal mainly with the
problems of living in the modern world.  A major character is the
Changer, a very old shapeshifting Athanor. Early in the first book
someone is demanding to know why on earth the Changer and his
daughter have been kept waiting outside only to discover the
daughter is a jackal and not housetrained.......

She's also published some posthumous collaberations with Roger
Zelazny (her late husband). I thoroughly enjoyed the second of
these, Lord Demon I think, the book is lent out.

Holly Lisle, some time collaborator with Mercedes Lackey.
Agreeably at a tangent to most off the peg fantasy, though her
latest stuff has been more conventional. I like her trilogy, A Fire
upon the Mist, the Bones of the Past and um the other one.

Margaret Mahy, a New Zealand children's writer. Her YA stuff is
good if rather unsettling. She likes to deal with large families that
have secrets. Not all are fantasy but even when they're not they're
eerie.

I also recomend Anne Perry (Victorian murder mysteries), Steven
Brust's fellow scribblies, Will Shetterly and Emma Bull, and Tim
Powers.

>  think this is an excellent assessment.  I keep thinking of all the
bad
> mothers in DWJ, and of how even the good mothers like Catriona
(from
> Archer's Goon) are kind of distant.  And now I think I'll re-read
_Eight
> Days of Luke_ because I'm working up a theory on the whole
mother thing and
> I want to look at how David's 'cousin' Astrid fits into this, since
she ends
> up in the mothering role.  Plus I haven't read it for a while.

I just reread Deep Secret, Does Janine win the prize for worst
mother? That bit where Nick compares her to a boil he once had,
Oh Dear! I've now started 8 days again and I realise I always
thought of Astrid as one of the kids. Its only in 8 days that she
really starts to grow up and take control of her life and David's.

--
Ven