DWJ sales in Hebrew

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 02:28:42 EDT 2000

Beetle, I hope you don't mind my CCing this message to you, but I thought it
only right you receive an *OFFICIAL* response to the very important question
posed about sales of books in Hebrew.

Sales of books in Hebrew DO NOT in fact reduce the total sales figure of a
book. I repeat, they DO NOT reduce the total sales figure. This is a vile
and malicious rumor obviously initiated as an anti-Zionist plot to prevent
the translation of Diana Wynne Jones' books for the benefit of the
Hebrew-reading public. We, in Israel, have very cleverly avoided this
problem by assuring that NUMBERS in Hebrew are read FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. (The
one drawback is that all Israelis are therefore backwards about numbers. But
lets not get into that).

On a more serious note, there actually haven't been any of Diana Wynne
Jones' books translated into Hebrew up to now. But I am doing my best to
rectify this - I was recently hired to work at an Israeli publishing house,
and I've managed to get them to purchase translation rights to two of her
books. And if every single citizen in Israel buys only five copies, that's
thirty million right there!

Gili

>>>Kylie kindly forwarded the following to the Diana Wynne Jones mailing
>>>list:

>>>Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 02:45:25 -0500From: kp027 at energex.com.au
Subject: Re: DWJ (was: Re: Birthday Honours list)
I found this when I was doing my daily search forany mention of DWJ.Kylie
-
This message was forwarded to you from Deja.com by kp027 at energex.com.au.
Deja.com offers free consumer information, including ratings and reviews on
thousands of products and services.  Before you buy,
visithttp://www.deja.com/
-
(beginning of original message)Subject: Re: DWJ (was: Re: Birthday Honours
list)
From: anon2765 at firedrake.orgDate: 2000/06/24Newsgroups: alt.books.tom-holt
In message <iCh4LUAR2HV5IwZi at severnvu.demon.co.uk> Matthew Francis wrote:
>Why should the number of copies matter? A lot of awfully bad books sell
>a lot of copies. Also, the award is for services to literature
>(i.e.pioneering work in new genres like Pterry, DNA and Tom), but what
>J. K. Rowling is doing now was actually done over thirty years ago by
>Diana Wynne Jones, who has sold more than thirty million books, but has
>still received no award.
Message from DWJ, much cheered by this perception and erudition:
"Have I really?  Coo!  I can't tell 'cos they go in and out of print so
where did he get his figures from please?"
(She reads abth some of the time but her Bannus has a mind of its own, so I
am posting on her behalf.)
For myself, I should like to add that some of her sales are in Japanese and
Hebrew and things, and are _backwards_ or sometimes upside-down; does this
mean that it's like reversing in a car lowers the mileage, those sales
reduce the total sales, or do they count forwards?- --Beetle