Millie

Tue Jun 27 14:08:53 EDT 2000

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:27:13 +0100, Ven wrote:

>Hi Melissa, I've only been getting the list since 18th May (I joined
>just before the famine so I was puzzled for a while) but I enjoyed
>reading your posts in the archives.

I liked reading yours too...love your name, by the way.  :)

> Did you know
>Steven Brust is writing it as a trilogy now? Does that make the wait
>better or worse?

Better, actually, since it means potentially more Brust than if it were a
single volume.  I understand that makes it a more direct parallel with the
Dumas series, since _Man in the Iron Mask_ is the third volume in that
"book".  But I would settle for just about anything at this point.

>Astrid is an interesting case. I've noticed that Dwj grandmothers
>tend to be nicer and of far more use than the mothers. Think of Fire
>and Hemlock and the offstage granny in Time of the Ghost.

Another good point!  Also, very few POV characters in DWJ are actually
mothers themselves--I can only think of the one in _A Sudden Wild Magic_
right now.  I'm sure it all adds up to something, I'm just not sure what it
is.

Melissa Proffitt