Millie

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 20:27:13 EDT 2000

OnFri , 23 jun  Melissa wrote  Re: Re Brust, censorship and Millie

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:18:49 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Ven wrote:
> >
> >> I also wonder whether Millie is rather backgrounded because she is
> >> a good mother and thats maybe something that Dwj was.............
> >> I'm on shaky ground here, I was going to say uneasy with, then I
> >> remembered she's a mother herself and realised that if I'm on to
> >> something then its more complicated than i thought. Anyone care
> >> to comment?
> >
> >Perhaps what you mean is that DWJ lacks experience of what a good
> >mother looks like from the POV of the person being mothered?

That is what I meant. It was late at night and I was getting tangled
up with my problems with my own mother I think.

> I think this is an excellent assessment.  I keep thinking of all the bad
> mothers in DWJ, and of how even the good mothers like Catriona (from
> Archer's Goon) are kind of distant.  And now I think I'll re-read _Eight
> Days of Luke_ because I'm working up a theory on the whole mother thing and
> I want to look at how David's 'cousin' Astrid fits into this, since she ends
> up in the mothering role.  Plus I haven't read it for a while.
>
> Why can't there be more authors like DWJ?  I feel right now as though I only
> want to read books like hers, and there just aren't enough of them. <whine
> whine>  I keep prowling my shelves imagining that at some point more books
> will magically appear.  EVERY author whose books I love isn't producing
> anything new until November.  And Steven Brust is probably in a coma
> somewhere laughing at everyone waiting for _The Viscount of Adrilankha_.
>
> Only now I'm getting irrational, so I'm going back to the couch now.  But it
> sure is nice to be back.

Hi Melissa, I've only been getting the list since 18th May (I joined
just before the famine so I was puzzled for a while) but I enjoyed
reading your posts in the archives. Did you know
Steven Brust is writing it as a trilogy now? Does that make the wait
better or worse?

hope you're feeling more comfortable real soon. A friend of mine
was 10 days late with her second. I told her to undo knots on the
basis that the witch who is trying to delay Heracles birth was tying
them into a piece of string. It was probably the hot bath rather than
untangling string but she went into labour an hour later and was in
and out of hospital, with baby in six hours!

Astrid is an interesting case. I've noticed that Dwj grandmothers
tend to be nicer and of far more use than the mothers. Think of Fire
and Hemlock and the offstage granny in Time of the Ghost.
--
Ven