Books to read while waiting for YoG (was: Re: Re Brust, censorship and Millie)

Fri Jun 23 13:04:39 EDT 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:53:42 +0800, Dzongri (Anita Graham) wrote:

>-- Why can't there be more authors like DWJ?  I feel right now
>-- as though I only
>-- want to read books like hers, and there just aren't enough
>-- of them. <whine
>-- whine>  I keep prowling my shelves imagining that at some
>-- point more books
>-- will magically appear.  EVERY author whose books I love
>-- isn't producing
>-- anything new until November.  And Steven Brust is probably in a coma
>-- somewhere laughing at everyone waiting for _The Viscount of
>-- Adrilankha_.

(I need to interject here--the other part of the problem is that I have just
finished re-reading a lot of the books I love...all the Bujold books, most
of Terry Pratchett.  I haven't been able to do much else but read and do
crossword puzzles.  And I read fast.  Reading fast is not always a
blessing.)

>Have you read Sorcery and Cecelia by Caroline Stevermer and Patricia Wrede
>or A College of Magics by Stevermer? I know they've been recommended on this
>list, but I don't recall if you were one of those who had read them. I've
>recently acquired both of them and I enjoyed them a lot.

I have read both.  _Sorcery and Cecilia_ a long time ago, and _College of
Magics_ recently.  (I must remember to steal _Sorcery and Cecilia_ from my
inlaws before it's destroyed, though Jacob tells me it's really his and
therefore it's not stealing.)  Actually, Stevermer is one of those authors
that I just don't enjoy as much as I think I should.  She hasn't written
enough books for me to be certain why, though.  It's too bad, really.  I
like her style and I like her story ideas...my guess is that our worldviews
are just slightly different enough in the right way (or possibly the wrong
way) for us to get along well.

>Or you could just try Georgette Heyer - she is immensely readable and can be
>very funny too - and she's written an awful lot! She won't be producing
>anything new though....

OOoh, good point.  Those would be nice.  Read _Frederica_ FINALLY as the
library took forever to get it in.  I also am waiting for a few books on
hold, but I don't think they'll get here on time.  Ditto _Spindle's End_,
which I had to order from Amazon because our Barnes & Noble didn't have it
in stock (!!!).  And before anyone yells at me for not supporting the
independent little booksellers, let me say that I *would* if there were any
within twenty miles of my house.  I think I've mentioned before that
retailers seem to think the only kind of businesses that will succeed in
this part of Salt Lake are warehouse grocery stores and car repair shops.

While we're on the subject, I read a book recently that was very good.  It's
a YA title and it's not fantasy, but has elements I think some of you may
like.  The title is _Locked Inside_ and it's by Nancy Werlin.  It's about a
girl who is the daughter of a very famous and wealthy singer/evangelist
(sort of) who died several years before the story begins.  The girl
struggles with living up to this image--EVERYONE knew who her mother
was--and spends a lot of time playing an online roleplaying game where she's
anonymous.  The central theme of the book is how she learns to become
herself and not just her mother's daughter, but I can't say more than that.
What I like about it, aside from the character dynamics and the
parent-sibling 'rivalry', is that the author obviously knows what it's like
to be part of an online community.  I've read a number of books in which
roleplaying (either pencil-and-paper or computerized) is a main plot
element, and very few of them match up to my own experiences with
roleplaying.  That this book *does* is kind of ironic, because the computer
game sections are very short--and yet I never felt disappointed by that,
because the rest of the book was equally interesting.  Ordered this one from
Amazon, too.

Melissa Proffitt