Re Brust, censorship and Millie

Fri Jun 23 00:08:23 EDT 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:18:49 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Ven wrote:
>
>> I also wonder whether Millie is rather backgrounded because she is
>> a good mother and thats maybe something that Dwj was.............
>> I'm on shaky ground here, I was going to say uneasy with, then I
>> remembered she's a mother herself and realised that if I'm on to
>> something then its more complicated than i thought. Anyone care
>> to comment?
>
>Perhaps what you mean is that DWJ lacks experience of what a good
>mother looks like from the POV of the person being mothered?

I think this is an excellent assessment.  I keep thinking of all the bad
mothers in DWJ, and of how even the good mothers like Catriona (from
Archer's Goon) are kind of distant.  And now I think I'll re-read _Eight
Days of Luke_ because I'm working up a theory on the whole mother thing and
I want to look at how David's 'cousin' Astrid fits into this, since she ends
up in the mothering role.  Plus I haven't read it for a while.

Why can't there be more authors like DWJ?  I feel right now as though I only
want to read books like hers, and there just aren't enough of them. <whine
whine>  I keep prowling my shelves imagining that at some point more books
will magically appear.  EVERY author whose books I love isn't producing
anything new until November.  And Steven Brust is probably in a coma
somewhere laughing at everyone waiting for _The Viscount of Adrilankha_.

Only now I'm getting irrational, so I'm going back to the couch now.  But it
sure is nice to be back.

Melissa Proffitt