State evolution and cricket

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 21:32:20 EDT 2000

On : Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:22:33 -0400 (EDT) Mary Ann said my
ideas on State evolution sounded like Marvin Harris's Cannibals
and Kings,

Spot on, Harris is a big influence. I've never formally studied
economics outside of anthropology and archaeology but I did read
some fascinating articles. one that I tremember savaged the idea
that there was such a thing as "real money" (what we use) as
opposed to "primitive valuables" (used by primitives?). The author
pointed out that our money  is in fact no more real than the so
called primitive valuables. That was a real eye opener.

> > > One of my hobbyhorses is the idea that this evolution is still > > ongoing.... the state is not the end of the process....
 > Of course, there are an enormous number of varieties of state.
I'm not sure > what you mean. >

 I'm using a very loose/encompassing definition that covers
everything form the Minoan palace cultures, through city states,
feudal states to the post industrial nation state. I think this is an
archaeologists' point of view. So what I mean is that something
may come to replace the state as a the paradigm of human social
organisation which is as different as the state was to the tribe.
Like a literal change of state.

Incidentally the Minoans are my favourite ancient people ever. If I
ever got a shot at time travel I would go to the palace of  Phaistos
on Crete at roundabout the time the civilisation was really kicking
off and they were inventing it all from scratch (hey they were so
civilised even had flush toilets). Where would other people go?

On 21 Jun 2000 12:31:36 +0100
Jennifer wrote

> >As promised to Chris in particular I'll start off by talking about
> >Steven Brust. He's a Hungarian American
> <big snip>
> >Did I say I can go on a bit , I think I've just proved it, hope it
> >encourages people to look at Mr Brust.
>
> Well it has me!

Glad to hear it

 SPOILER WARNING - GEORGE
> >ORWELL. For example Animal farm, which I read at around 9?10?,
> >against parental and brotherly advice, because it was "about
> >animals" gave me nightmares (Napoleon the pig was buried next to
> >our garage and came out of his grave!) yet I greatly value learning
> >its lesson about power at such an early age. I never forgot the poor
> >animals wondering whether the  inhabitants of the farmhouse were
> >the pigs or the humans.

> I also read Animal Farm young, and hated it (as indeed I did Homeward
> Bounders- it's so tragic), and don't think it did me any harm. What I'm
> confused about are the things that slid over my head- the incredible racism
> in Dr Doolittle, which I don't think has made me racist but I would now feel
> very uncomfortable having my young cousins read.
big snip

> I suppose the only thing one can do is not give children things that make
> one uneasy, but not worry too much if they read them anyway.

I think thats true and also keep reminding oneself that kids are
usually tougher than one thinks. I once defended Halloween
customs and scary things aimed at kids generally by arguing that
its good to get some practise at being scared because the real
thing will come up eventually.

A teacher once gave me some very good reading advice -- to look
at the date of first publication of a book. I've done this ever since. It
certainly helped in putting some of the old fashioned ideas in the
older books I read in context.

>On nasty rough games
Jennifer wrote
> > Yeah- there are several specific rugby injuries, like ears torn off and so
> > on, and one of them is a broken neck from being bent over in the scrum and
> > the head getting shoved downwards. My brother had to play this at
> school...
> and Elise asked
> Cricket - how does that work - what's with the puffy leg greaves?  How many
> people on a team?  It all seems so mysterious.

Then Sallyo wrote
on Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:31:26 +1000

> I read somewhere that (I think) something like 50% of all
footballers are
> injured in any given year. If sport is supposed to contribute to health by
> keeping one fit, I don't think it's working very well. And what if Howl
> played a rugby match? Can you imagine him forgetting himself and conjuring
> up green slime in front of the opposing team?

So I thought I'd share my Dad's cricket injuries with you, viz in the
course of making catches he broke just about every finger, and his
nose twice. He proudly tells me he usually carried on playing
despite whatever was broken too. Sport - why do they do it?

Do other countries play hockey (thats mud not ice hockey). I was a
disgrace, if the ball came near me I'd jump over it rather than risk
missing it with the stick and getting hit in the ankles.

I must admit Howl never struck me as having the usual build for a
rugby player. and how could such a vain man risk getting his ears
cauliflowered (what happens short of getting them twisted off)? I
suppose he may have used his magic to protect his looks, even if
he could avoid the green slime temptation.
--
Ven