Tough Guide

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 13:20:48 EDT 2000

>>My brother has just drawn my attention to the map at the front being Europe
>>swung through 180 degrees, and many of the placenames being anagrams. I
>>don't have the book with me so I can't check- has everyone else always known
>>this or is he cruelly hoaxing me?
>>Jennifer
>
> I don't think everyone's always known this, but it is true!  IIRC someone
> asked if anyone on the list _hadn't_ rotated the map 180 degrees -
> immediately sending several of us rushing to try it.  (I'm sure I wasn't
> alone, but can't remember who else 'fessed up to not having copped it.)

I was the "someone" who asked the question.  See how many place names you can
decode in the light of the rotation - "Bay of Dogs" is my favourite, but note
that "Sea of Canispa" is in the wrong place...  Note also that not all the
anagrams are exact...

(My brother pointed out that labelling Ireland as "Island of Dragons" was
interesting in the light of what sort of creature you _don't_ find there.)

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK