Millie to Milly

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Jun 21 13:02:19 EDT 2000

>I suspect that part of what's going on here isn't so much shrinkage as
>compartmentalization. Milly is likely to act primarily as a parent toward

I think you're right, Mary Ann. The whole thing of using a child protagonist
in a novel is always fraught with difficulty. If you're writing a simple,
linear story (and there's nothing wrong with that!) you can afford to
present parents and parent-figures through the protagonist's eyes. When you
get complex and layered as DWJ does, you need more. You must show the parent
through child-eyes, but add another layer so the reader (if equipped with
enough maturity) can see what the protagonist cannot.

Sallyo.
Mentor's Page at http://members.xoom.com/Sallyo/mentor.htm