Cricket & stuff

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 11:50:22 EDT 2000

I must be feeling somewhat mean after a trying day, but I just can't resist
posting this well known "Cricket as explained to a foreigner". I love
cricket, along with several other sports (But NOT football!). Love of both
Cricket and cats is a sign of good taste & civilisation ;-) Seems we get
both with DWJ.
Just changing the topic completely, JK Rowling was awarded an OBE in the
reecnt honours list. Oh how that brought out the cynic in me! Where's the
recognition for DWJ?!?

Here goes:

"Cricket - As explained to a foreigner

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side
that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in
until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the
side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and
when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There
are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when
the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men
have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have
been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game."

Rowena