pronunciations

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Jun 20 14:16:16 EDT 2000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Kyla Tornheim wrote:
>
> > And, on the subject of accents, I'm from Boston but no one thinks I
> > am from how I sound, and when I was in Wales for three days, I
> > started *thinking* in a Welsh accent.
>
> I start thinking in a Welsh accent just after reading a book with
> Welsh characters. :)
Well, it was the first time I'd ever heard a Welsh accent in person. But
when I'm reading books, I usually just use my own voice--sort of like
reading out loud to myself, but silently. Which, getting back to someone's
post lo these many years ago, was what lead to the problem in
understanding the "ork" in Dogsbody. (And I really hope I didn't say this
all in a previous post.)