Ven's post

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Mon Jun 19 13:24:52 EDT 2000

So Ven =/ Venturus...

I'm probably at least as old as Ven, but not so good at owning stuff
- my dwj collection has large holes where undergraduates have borrowed
books and then thoughtlessly (I say advisedly) graduated and vanished.

+ to be a field archaeologist, these days I think I'm a kind of
+ mendicant scholar. I love swopping info on cultural and language
+ differences. Don't get me started on my theories of the evolution of
+ the state (at least not on this list).

hey, field archeologist (the list masked your originating email so the
rest of the list will have to put up with this) - what do you think of
the "excavation" of Canopus and Herakleion, off the coast of Alexandria?
I was especially enthralled when they brought up two more chunks of the
Naos of the Decans - the extrapolations of the star system on the naos
fragments we have will be checked against a new chunk of hieroglyphic
data!

In private email, the theory-of-state-evolution would be a fun discussion.
I collect odd linguistic quirks, like "kiosk" originally being a word
(Turkish) for "summerhouse", instead of the British assimilation as a
grubby little booth full of stale cigarettes and blooming warm chocolate
(or possibly a rancid telephone). Or the fact that you have in English
a generic "limbs", with specifics "arms" or "legs", a generic "digits",
with specifics "fingers" or "toes" but the specifics "hands" and "feet"
have no generic for this middle-size descriptor. Some languages (esp.
East European ones, for some reason), do have a generic there [some of
my data came from surgical cockups where the specific hadn't been made
clear].

yes, the surprising thing about the parallels is not the divergence,
but the covergence. This is what makes them parallels in a series, rather
than Completely Random Quantum Worlds, I suppose. That destiny has pulled
together people in a similar setup, even to identical genetic meshings.
Haploid cells must feel the tug of destiny at the mitochondrial level.

+ Incidentally I think its having your analogues die at birth that makes
+ a nine life enchanter.

Possibly. Or destiny has prevented them all being conceived. Cat lost his
first life being born, but somehow he got credited with the other 8 lives,
so it wasn't a simultaneous die-off (probably). In the end, though, magic
=/ science. Neil Gaiman says something along the lines of "science is a
way of describing the world: magic is speaking to it in words it cannot
ignore".

Tanaqui, digressive and irrelevant but not describing food.