New article etc

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Mon Jun 19 04:17:53 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Andinach <pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
> > Yeah. Luckily a lot of his other poems are less on the man's side. I
> > like "Ts true, tis day" where the woman is trying to persuade her
> > lover to stay with her.
>
> I'm probably letting myself in for it here, but I have to admit I
> quite like "The Flea", wherein the guy is trying to convince his
> girlfriend to sleep with him on the basis that, logically speaking,
> they have already.
> Not that I approve, but it's a very appealing bit of complete and
> utter bosh. :)

It's a good one to compare with "To His Coy Mistress" - both Donne and
Marvell have basically the same end in sight, so to speak, but use very
different techniques - Marvell puts the frighteners on ("But at my back I
always hear/Time's winged chariot hurrying near...") but Donne uses moral
blackmail - she is "cruel and sudden" when she kills the flea! Both are
brilliant in a totally non-PC way! (And the girls in my class usually can't
decide who they despise more.<G.)

Gill