Censorship & Totalitarianism

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Sun Jun 18 20:35:37 EDT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

Max (I believe) quoting Noam Chomsky:

> > memory I'm afraid) and he said (paraphrase) that totalitarian regimes focus
> > on controlling the individual's actions, but seemingly 'freer' societies
> > focus on controlling the individual's *thoughts and opinions.*  Makes you
> > think for a minute, eh?

Interesting idea.  From my own personal experience of totalitarian
regimes, they seem really interested in controlling people's thoughts &
opinions, as well--witness all the rewritten history and
propagandistic garbage taught to school children, all the massive and
shameless banning of literature & persecution of whatever dissenting
writers they could get at, arrests of private individuals for expressing
the wrong opinions...(Animal Farm was forbidden, for obvious reasons; and
oh, I can definitely see The Homeward Bounders or the Dalemark books being
off-limits too, if they had ever come to the attention of highly-placed
individuals...)  I think 1984 is a ghoulish, caricatural,
but relatively realistic depiction of such a regime--in spirit if not in
technological fact.  And, I agree with Philip, a most creepy book.

Alexandra