dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #169

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 18 04:57:48 EDT 2000

Ooh, so much to respond too. I've just read so many messages that my mind is
a complete mess about who wrote what, so I'll respond to topics, not
authors, if I may:

* Curry in DWJ - isn't curry one of the few dishes that the son in "Nad and
Dan adn Kwaffee" cooks? He learns one new dish a year, and this year was
stir-fry which was a welcome relief from all the curry? I think...

* Noam Chomsky - sounds like the kind of thing he would write. He has a book
called "manufacture of consent". I must admit I have much more respect for
his early work in linguistics than his current political theories. I met him
in person a couple of summers ago and he seemed a bit befuddled: he confused
me with my mother, whom he had met as a little girl in the 1950's when my
grandfather, who was a philosopher/linguist/mathemetician was teaching at
MIT or something of the sort. Most people would be able to tell at a glance
that I was not quite around yet in the fifties.

* To the best of my knowledge, Harry Potter has just been banned for the
first time in a few schools in England, but other than that most of the fuss
has been in the U.S.
And speaking of "Huckleberry Finn", I just heard a rather convincing lecture
that claimed Huckleberry Finn himself was modeled after a black boy Mark
Twain knew, and his particular twist of dialect. I think most of the fuss
around Huckleberry Finn was not the actual use of black dialect, but the
fact that Jim is portrayed as rather simple and childlike.

* "How ripping, I'm up for scrum!" - there was a cute bit in the New Yorker
last fall about the alterations made to adapt "Harry Potter" to an American
audience. Some were of the sort that were meant to make things clearer for
American readers, such as changing "lemon sherberts" to "lemon drops" -

- (off topic) WHICH REMINDS ME: JESSIE I WANT YOUR ADDRESS AGAIN! I'VE HAD A
PARCEL READY TO SEND TO YOU FOR AGES AND AGES EXCEPT FOR YOUR ADDRESS, AND I
KEEP FORGETTING! (this is because Jessie sent me lemon sherberts from
England so I'd know what they were when I was translating the first Harry
Potter book, and I've never properly thanked her) -

- (back on topic) but the more amusing changes were those that were intended
to make the book sound *MORE BRITISH*, such as changing "brilliant" to
"cracking good"!!! How silly.

* We've finally secured the rights to publish "Charmed Life" and "The Lives
of Christopher Chant" in Hebrew. How I wish I could translate them myself,
but I'd need to break my Harry Potter contract, as well as be my own
taskmaster which I'm not really good at. Anyway, the question of which
should be read first is now, obviously, of great interest to me. I read
"Charmed Life" first and I still think that's the way to go, because I think
it's adding glamour to Milly and a human side to Chrestomanci, whereas the
other way round is dissapointing and gives away to much. But my friend Netta
who would be on this list had she the technical knowhow is firm in her
belief that "Christopher Chant" should go first, otherwise not enough people
will "get" "Charmed Life". Opinions, please!

Gili