Becca's news (topical)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Jun 18 04:00:59 EDT 2000

>Please give Becca my congratulations. Placing in a competition is always
>something to crow about. Something to put in her resume!
>What was the competition subject? Was it a "free" comp or did she have to
>write to a set theme?

The answer to this question also relates to the list, strangely enough.
The title was "On the Threshold", and Becca got into one of those
unenthusiastic moods about writing something with that title.  Someone on
the list had mentioned the collection of short stories "Hundreds and
Hundreds" as a favourite, and I'd happened across a copy a day or two
later.  So I tried to encourage Becca by telling her that all these writers
had written great stories with such an unlikely title, and she responded
that Hundreds would be dead easy to write about!  When I  asked her what
she would do with that, she immediately threw back an idea, which fit
_perfectly_ for On the Threshold.  As she admitted, somewhat reluctantly.
And that was the story she wrote...

>Sallyo - (always curious, since I got my start in a writing comp when I was
>10).

That's great!  And did you know then that you wanted (and were going) to be
a writer?

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie