Muggles for Harry Potter

Tony Fox tonyfox at beeb.net
Sat Jun 17 12:33:16 EDT 2000

> But I think it's not a bad idea to let biologists teach current biological
> theory-- and past biological theory, for that matter....

The problem with our current western education system is that we insist on
teaching everything as facts - when an awful lot of things are theories.
This even applies to scientific knowledge which anyone working in a
scientific field knows is always in a state of flux not written in stone.

When it comes to education we teach science as if it were immutable - or a
least at the lower levels of education.

It's no wonder then that  people get upset when their children are taught
"facts" that directly contradict their parents beliefs and the tone always
seems to be that only the stupid don't agree. Perhaps that is an inevitable
result of  group dynamics - it would be nice if the human race could grow
out of it.