New article etc

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 11:39:56 EDT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Rowland, Jennifer wrote:

> > I do like Donne and his way (like DWJ) of matching improbable
> > things together and following the consequences through to a
> > logical conclusion only it's not necessarily the logical one you'd
> > expect.  I also like how DWJ kind of reclaims "Song" which is
> > really quite a bitter poem once you get to the end of the second
> > stanza, and replaces the unfaithful woman with loyal busy unruly
> > Sophie.

> Yeah. Luckily a lot of his other poems are less on the man's side. I
> like "Ts true, tis day" where the woman is trying to persuade her
> lover to stay with her.

I'm probably letting myself in for it here, but I have to admit I
quite like "The Flea", wherein the guy is trying to convince his
girlfriend to sleep with him on the basis that, logically speaking,
they have already.
Not that I approve, but it's a very appealing bit of complete and
utter bosh. :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."