Muggles for Harry Potter

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Fri Jun 16 11:13:43 EDT 2000

> In a message dated 6/16/00 9:21:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de writes:
>
>> I just got a shock from the "Moral Majority":
>>  Apparently, Harry Potter books are banned from school libraries and
>> classroooms
>>  in some U.S. states
>
> this didn't surprise me
>
>>  and in New Zealand,
>
> but this did.  I don't know much about NZ but I hadn't imagined it the kind
> of place with a strong 'moral majority' type group.  just goes to show.

Me too.  So I looked at the Muggles website...

Britta, are you _sure_ you read that aright?  The big fight seems to be going on
in Zeeland, Michigan, USA.  No mention of anywhere outside the US (although
arguments from silence are the weakest sort, I suppose)

> memory I'm afraid) and he said (paraphrase) that totalitarian regimes focus
> on controlling the individual's actions, but seemingly 'freer' societies
> focus on controlling the individual's *thoughts and opinions.*  Makes you
> think for a minute, eh?

That's an interesting thought.  Is that why George Orwell's "1984" is so
frightening - a very plausible society that controls both?

>>  And to bring this back on topic: there's probably lots of things in dwj
>>  some people would have similar objections to...
>
> definitely.  try the idea that you are responsible for your own life, for a
> start.

Yes.  Especially in the US, but this is going out of fashion over here too...

Philip (who wishes he had more time to comment about censorship in general).

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000