[Brownie points]

Karen M Frederickson frede005 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Jun 16 10:08:01 EDT 2000

On 14 Jun 2000, Sarah Imholt wrote:

> Brownies are supposdly little Scottish spirits that do little things around
> the house to help out.  This is where the Girl Scout Brownies got their name
> (my sister was one).  That is where the whole brown-nosing and brownie points
> concepts originated from.

Brownie points, yes, but not brown-nosing, which has an origin that is,
umm, obscene or at least unpleasant.  As someone mentioned, it means
"butt-kissing", but I would also say it means boot-licking - a symbol
of servility.  So make it a cross between the two expressions and think of
why your nose might be brown, and..well, let's just say it's not from
muddy boots..

Karen in  Minneapolis
who can't make this a tasteful message, quite