Muggles for Harry Potter

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Jun 16 09:18:17 EDT 2000

Hi!

I just got a shock from the "Moral Majority":

Apparently, Harry Potter books are banned from school libraries and classroooms
in some U.S. states and in New Zealand, which has caused some people to form a group
called "Muggle for Harry Potter" ( http://www.mugglesforharrypotter.org )

I read some of the causes they listed:
- it's violent
- it's icky-bah witchcraft
- it's against families (because the Dursleys are so horrible)
- muggles (= we) are portrayed as stupid losers
-...

I nearly couldn't believe it! I think banning books from schools is wrong -
if you have a problem with some of the issues, why not read the books in
school and talk about them?

And to bring this back on topic: there's probably lots of things in dwj
some people would have similar objections to...

Oh, and another one of those half-forgotten books from childhood / puberty
is one where people wanted to ban "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn"
from being read, on the grounds that women were portrayed as stupid, and that Tom
on the boat just with the escaped slave is also not ok... anyone know it?

Britta, whose first English dwj arrived yesterday (Deep Secrets), yay!