analogue processes

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 00:35:41 EDT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Ven wrote:

> Another recent topic thast interested me is the parallel people in
> parallel worlds thread. I've always had a difficulty with the idea
> of exact analogues of people existing in worlds which have
> significantly split from each other. Looking at it on a personal
> level; in the world where the Belgians won the second world war my
> parents may never have met, so I would have no analogue there.

One thing to note is that in the Chrestomanci stories, there's not a
different world for every possibility. There's only one hundred worlds
all up, and a person is only expected to have analogues in nine of
them.

(Interestingly, because each world is very different, the setup rules
out a lot of plots based on the idea of analogues, like the old
meeting-the-version-of-self-who-did-marry-old-boyfriend one. I wonder
if this was deliberate on DWJ's part, so she could get on with telling
the stories she wanted to tell.)

Nine out of nine is a lot better odds than practically-infinity out of
practically-infinity, but it still doesn't seem likely that every
world in a series is populated by exactly the same people.

(One possibility is that the nine worlds represent nine possibilities
out of practically-infinity that have the same people in them for
their entire histories, but I don't like that idea because it suggests
all kinds of nasty things about predestination.)

Thought: Does anyone actually say in any of the stories that
*everyone* has an analogue? Do they say how they know?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."