dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #168

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 20:53:03 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:14:41 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana
Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #168
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Jennifer wrote

> Treacle tart is a piebase with breadcrumbs soaked in syrup in it- a small
> piece is very nice. Doesn't someone eat a golden syrup sandwich somewhere?
> It sounnds a bit Archer's Goon-ish. I can't imagine why anyone would eat
> curry with treacle, (instead of chutney maybe?) unless it's just that
> treacle is quite an "English" thing.

I think they had their treacle pudding after their curry, a lot of indian
desserts are very sweet so it sounds quite a likely choice.  As well
as breadcrumbs the treacle can be topped with crushed cornflakes
or, my favourite, dessicated  coconut. Some supermarkets drench
it in nasty artificial lemomn flavour. Another sort of treacle pudding
my mum used to make was a steamed sponge job with sultanas
inside and treacle on top.

I wrote a nice little delurking mail but my computer hid it, most
dispiriting. here' a short version.

I'm old enough that the first dwj I read was an original library copy
of eight days of Luke, I'm lucky enough to own nearly all of the
books. I like nearly every author I've seen recomended by members
of the group. My current top five are Dwj, Terry Pratchett, Steven
Brust, Samuel R Delany, Kim Stanley Robinson, Lois McMasters
Bujold (which is six but who cares?) Delany and Dwj have been on
that list the longest. Easier to list the Dwj I like least than the
favorites (all the rest ) I really don't get on with Hexwood or tale of
Time City.

By the way I'm female ( is there a more gracefull way to express
this when you have a gender non specific name like mine?) I used
to be a field archaeologist, these days I think I'm a kind of
mendicant scholar. I love swopping info on cultural and language
differences. Don't get me started on my theories of the evolution of
the state (at least not on this list).

Another recent topic thast interested me is the parallel people in
parallel worlds thread. I've always had a difficulty with the idea of
exact analogues of people existing in worlds which have
significantly split from each other. Looking at it on a personal level;
in the world where the Belgians won the second world war my
parents may never have met, so I would have no analogue there.
Or supposing a change that is much less significant for the rest of
the world, in 1947 my Dad could have chosen a career as an
Airline pilot in South Africa rather than becomuing a teacher in
Hampshire. I'ts interesting to imagine my South African alter self
but I still don't believe a genetic twin of myself would have been
born in that world. The divergence in my parents lives would have
led to them having different children, conceived at different dates,
merely brothers and sisters of mine. On the most basic level it is
very unlikely that sets of parents in divergent worlds would uh, bring
together, the analogous sperm and ovum at the same time to
produce identical children. Hmm maybe however thats whats so
special about Chrestomanic's family.
Incidentally I think its having your analogues die at birth that makes
a nine life enchanter.

Yours, thoroughly enjoying all the interesting mails

--
Ven