New article etc

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 19:28:24 EDT 2000

In a message dated 6/12/00 12:38:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
emcmullin at kl.com writes:

>  lol <pictures a wailing, hand-wringing, black-robed huddle warning the
>  director in rhyme>
>
>  Your Chorus image is still making me chuckle :D

      :)

In a message dated 6/13/00 11:11:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Devra at aol.com
writes:

> Now, in order for the Tanist to take the place of the True King, the True
>  King has to step down.  In just the same way, Laurel gets divorced from Mr
>  Leroy, so that he can marry another woman and breed up a son.  This other
>  woman thus symbolically becomes Laurel, since she's the True King's wife,
> and
>  therefore, she dies in Laurel's place, for Laurel, giving Laurel power--
> every
>  9 years a funeral, and every 81 (9x9) the person who dies is a woman.  (So
>  Laurel is only giving up Mr Leroy for a while--a very short time, by her
>  frame of reference--and then she gets him back again.)
>
>  The reason that Mr Leroy is in such bad shape is that Laurel got the
virtue
>  of the last sacrifice, but it's been 18 years since he was renewed.
>
>  In all cases, the death of the substitute gives the King and Queen life
>  power.  Laurel takes Seb to be her new consort; he is so full of youth,
life,

>  and power that she will not need Leslie (as a substitute dying king) for a
>  long time.

Oh, okay.  I never realized Laurel got power from the deaths too.  I thought
just the king did. thanks!

In a message dated 6/13/00 12:02:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk writes:

> (He likes dwj's adult books but when I
>  recommended HMC said "Isn't that a children's book?". Some way to go
there.)

<g>nice understatement!

>  What I wanted to ask was if anyone else has noticed what seems to me to be
>  a recurring theme through Diana's books, characters who are in disguise in
>  some way, either through mistaken identity, deliberately posing as someone
>  else, or having been turned into someone else/forgetting who they were, but
>  in any case are showing a different face. (The new one can be more "real"
>  than their previous identity, eg Sophie, or let us see different parts of
>  themselves). This is in so many ways that it seems to go beyond the "true
>  virtue of the hero showing through" thing in many heroic books.

yes, that's so true because in quite a few of those books you get the sense
that the character is just near-sighted or really modest when it comes to
recognizing their hidden talents, but in DWJ's stories there seems more a
sense of the characters deliberately repressing (consciously or
unconsciously) the memory or knowledge of who they are.  Kind of like they're
afraid to take responsibility for their power in case they use that power and
things go wrong.  They then have to spend most of the book fighting to
retrieve this knowledge and reclaim their power after learning the hard way
that sitting on power doesn't make it go away. (eg Sophie and the enchanted
suit that enchants her). Needless to say I prefer DWJ's approach :)

> I say or-EGG-an-o instead of or-eg-AHN-o and get funny looks
>  from English Italian cooks

and  'bayzil' instead of 'bazzil'?  How long have you been in England? All
your life?  And if so, did you happen to have an American accent as a
toddler?  My daughter had two accents when she first started to talk -- an
English one for me and an American one for her dad.  Too cute!  Now it's
completely American but she hasn't lost the knack for English accents (all
kinds too, not just mine)

In a message dated 6/13/00 2:07:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bill-sarah at mindspring.com writes:

> What I like about DWJ is that they don't only find out
>  that they're special (and that they're never special because they're lost
>  princes or something like that) they also find out that they're flawed.
Cat
>  realizes that he's let Gwendolen use him, Howard realizes that he could be
>  quite horrible and arrogant and use people, Vivian in Tale of Time City
>  realizes that she's been playing games with people.  It's the combination
of
>  the special and the flawed that I identify with.

yeah!

> That poem got me started on Donne, who is one of my absolute favorite poets,
>  and also one of the best I've ever read.  Also, knowing that poem has
gotten
>  me some serious brownie points over the years.

<g>

I do like Donne and his way (like DWJ) of matching improbable things together
and following the consequences through to a logical conclusion only it's not
necessarily the logical one you'd expect.  I also like how DWJ kind of
reclaims "Song" which is really quite a bitter poem once you get to the end
of the second stanza, and replaces the unfaithful woman with loyal busy
unruly Sophie.

In a message dated 6/13/00 5:34:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

>  No time to get into the interesting discussions here just now (Open
>  University study going over the summer -

way cool! what are you studying?

>  much to my children's amusement!),

strange, isn't it, what an unending source of entertainment parents can be.
<sigh>

In a message dated 6/14/00 5:03:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, emcmullin at kl.com
writes:

> We've talked food - perhaps weird slang from around the world should be
>  next??

that scene in Witch Week where Charles is in detention always cracks me up:
"What ripping fun!" exclaimed Watts Minor. "I'm down for scrum half this
afternoon!"

And not quite a propos of nothing, I was watching this show on cats the other
day, that had Marianne Faithfull in it (odd but true) and she said that the
women who hung around jazz musicians were call Jazz Kitties.  Don't know why
it stuck in my mind, but there it is.

In a message dated 6/15/00 10:32:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
emcmullin at kl.com writes:

> "Permaximam posco ad legendum solitudinem"
>
>  Perming is a solitary endeavor?
>
>  Most people live lives that are legendary in their own minds?

<lol>

> When it is late at night and you are in bed and you realize there is no milk
>  for the morning - that is very hateful.
>
>  When you are taking a test and the person behind you is chewing and
cracking
>  their gum like a cow.  Oh how hateful!

<lol>  also <wince> at the latter.  Ask Emma or Mark if that isn't a
*particular* dislike of mine!  It drives me up the wall.

>  P.S. Palak paneer - deeelicious.  Anyone else a huge indian food fan?

Si si, senorita. It is my number one request when my husband has an urge to
'dine away from home'.  I do miss London - Indian take away on every corner
practically :(
Btw, did you know there's a curry song?  I can't remember who sang it (but I
think they sang about the character Arthur Daley in "Minder" too) all I
remember is that it starts

"There's Chicken Biryani
And there's Persian meat pilau.
You can have a Lobster boona
and a half of lager now."

I think it was called the Poppadum Song (hope I'm spelling that right)  If
anyone ever comes across a copy, let me know, won't you. (or the Arthur Daley
song for that matter.)

Max <hungry>