New article and several other threads

Rowland, Jennifer jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 05:02:57 EDT 2000

 Paul Andinach wrote:

> A more interesting question: If our world is one of the ones
> in which there was a Christopher Chant who died at birth, who
> was he? Who would he have been when he grew up?

The correspondence between Janet's family and Cat's seem to me to
suggest
strongly that interworld person-parallels are strongly family-related.
But
if this is so, there surely should not be a Roger or a Julia in any
other
world.

If, however, identity isn't so strongly tied to biological descent, it
seems
surprising that there are such firm parallels between Janet's family and
Cat's....

Mary Ann

Maybe the Chants are an "important" or "core" family in any world they're
in, as they seem so strongly magical in Chrestomanci's world?

And the other threads-
Detective stories
Ellis Peters and Ngaio Marsh are both good, I specially like Marsh's
detective- another upperclass English type but this one's in the police.
Anyone read Emma Lathen? Her detective is a vicepresident of a big Wall
Street investment bank.

Lots of Dragonsbanes
I didn't know Barbara Hambly had written one, I like her other stuff so I'll
try and find it. Vivian Vander Velde has been mentioned before, how easy is
it to get hold of her books?

Curry and treacle
Treacle was originally theriacum, a medicinal mixture, ("treacle wells" as
mentioned in Alice in Wonderland were ones with healing properties, and
"brimstone and treacle" was a good tonic apparently) but as sugar was
originally thought to be good for you it came to mean sugarcane extract-
pretty much like molasses. Gingerbread and fruitcake tend to have treacle in
them. Nowadays it can mean golden syrup- a bit like corn syrup, I think.
Treacle tart is a piebase with breadcrumbs soaked in syrup in it- a small
piece is very nice. Doesn't someone eat a golden syrup sandwich somewhere?
It sounnds a bit Archer's Goon-ish. I can't imagine why anyone would eat
curry with treacle, (instead of chutney maybe?) unless it's just that
treacle is quite an "English" thing.

Jennifer