Several things. . .

bill-sarah at mindspring.com bill-sarah at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 7 16:16:05 EDT 2000

Okay, a few varied replies:

I've never read Barbara Hambly; I'll have to look her work up.  The books I was thinking of are by Vivian Vande Velde; one is Companions of the Night, and one is Dragon's Bait, not Dragonsbane.  Oops.

Brownie points are: well, brownie is probably a contraction of brownnose; brownosing is kissing up, kissing butt.  Basically it means that I would casually mention something about John Donne in seventh grade and my teachers would immediately become several notches more receptive to the idea of giving me a's (but hardly ever quite enough notches).

About the Tamora Pierce books:  I thought that the first book in the Protector of the Small series was okay, not great, but offered room for improvement.  Page seemed to me a sort of throwaway, like the author was trying to get three years out of the way in one book, with minimal attention to plot and character development, so that she wouldn't be mired down in those years forever.  I'll read the next one, anyway.  I'm not very good at stopping series. . . I only manage with series like Piers Anthony's Xanth ones (which I liked in seventh grade) and Anne McCaffrey's dragon books, where I get fed up because nobody ever dies, or because all problems have been solved and the author's just sticking with characters that s/he is attached to.

Just to go possibly more off topic (can you tell I've been home sick for a few days and am bored half to death?), somebody mentioned Allingham and Sayers, and I just wanted to put in a plug for Ngaio Marsh. . . .

And lastly, welcome to the list, Jennifer.

Lizzie